The GDPR protects the fundamental rights of individuals within the European Union in relation to the processing of personal data.
Examples of personal data include:
– Email address
– Social media account
– Digital identifier such as an IP address or a cookie ID.
Commitment to Privacy
Inanna Publications and Education Inc. is committed to maintaining the trust and confidence of our visitors, customers and readers. We do not sell or share email lists with other companies or any third parties. The following statement outlines our commitment to the privacy of all of our customers, newsletter subscribers, contest participants, and those who visit our website. Each of the ten headings below relate to the ten principles of Canada’s Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA).
- Accountability: Inanna Publications is responsible for the personal information in its possession and has a designated staff member acting as its Privacy Officer with the responsibility of compliance with all applicable privacy laws.
When Inanna Publications works with third party service providers who deliver services on our behalf, we may disclose your personal information to them only to the extent necessary to enable them to provide services to you. Inanna Publications requires third party service providers to manage and guard all personal information in accordance with Canadian laws.
Inanna Publications will, from time to time, provide external website links administered by unrelated parties. When Inanna Publications provides external website links we make no endorsement or representation regarding the practices of these websites, and we encourage you to read the privacy policies of any site to which you provide personal information.
- Purposes of Data Collection: Upon or before collecting information, Inanna Publications will clearly state the purpose of collection. In most cases, you will be asked to provide personal and financial information appropriate only to provide you with a requested service. We will request personal or financial information when you, for example:
- complete a book order
- opt-in as a newsletter subscriber
- participate in a contest or promotional offer
We collect personal information when you subscribe to our newsletter, for which we use MailChimp. We gather statistics around email open and click rates using industry standard technologies to help us monitor and improve our e-newsletter. You can unsubscribe to our newsletter at any time by clicking the unsubscribe link at the bottom of any of our emails.
When you place an order with us, we securely store your name, address, and email address. This data is not shared with anyone, and we’ll only contact you if there is an issue with your order.
- Consent: Inanna Publications will inform you of the purposes for the collection, use, or disclosure of personal data and will obtain your consent before or at the time of collection. We will seek your express consent for use of your personal information whenever possible and in all cases when the personal information is considered sensitive. Inanna Publications will not attempt to obtain consent by deceptive means.
We will not use or disclose your personal information without your knowledge and consent unless it is permitted or required by law as outlined in PIPEDA.
You may withdraw your consent at any time and we will delete your personal information, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice.
Inanna Publications does not intend to collect or solicit personal information from anyone under the age of sixteen. If you are under the age of sixteen, do not attempt to register or send any personal information to us, including your name, address, telephone number, or email address. In the event that we learn that we have collected personal information from an individual under the age of sixteen, we will remove that information as quickly as possible.
Parents and legal guardians can withdraw consent to their child’s participation and use of their personal information at any time by contacting us at inanna.publications[at]inanna.ca
- Limitations on Collection of Personal Information: We will limit our collection of personal information to that which is reasonable and necessary to provide our services or as authorized by law. Inanna Publications will collect personal information only by fair and lawful means. We will not collect personal information indiscriminately nor will we mislead you about our reasons for collecting personal information from you.
- Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention: Your personal information will only be used or disclosed for the purposes consented to by you or as authorized by law.
Personal information will be retained only as long as it is necessary to fulfill the purposes for which it is collected. We will destroy, erase, or make anonymous documents or other records containing personal information as soon as it is reasonable to assume that the original purpose is no longer being served by retention of the information and retention is no longer necessary for legal or business purposes. We will take due care when destroying personal information so as to prevent unauthorized access to the information.
- Accuracy: Inanna Publications will make reasonable efforts to ensure that the personal information we collect, use, or disclose is accurate and complete. In most cases, we rely on you to ensure that certain information is current, complete and accurate.
If you demonstrate the inaccuracy or incompleteness of your personal information, we will amend the information as required. If appropriate, we will send the amended information to third parties to whom the information has been disclosed.
When a challenge regarding the accuracy of personal information is not resolved to your satisfaction, we will annotate the personal information in our possession with a note that correction was requested but not made.
- Safeguards: We will protect your personal information against unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use, or modification using safeguards appropriate to the sensitivity of the information. These safeguards include passwords, encryption, and firewalls, and organizational controls such as limiting staff access to personal information. Transmission of the personal information you provide when placing an order is secured and our service providers operate in compliance with the Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS).
- Openness: Inanna Publications is open about its privacy policies and procedures used to protect your personal information. Information about these policies and procedures can be obtained from our office by request to the Privacy Officer.
- Individual Access: You have the right to access your personal information held by Inanna Publications. Upon request, we will inform you if we are in possession of your personal information or information relating to you, provide a copy of that information and description of how it has been used or the parties to whom it has been disclosed. If you find that the information is inaccurate or incomplete you maintain the right to challenge the accuracy of our disclosure.
In certain circumstances under the law, we will not disclose information to you. Examples of such circumstances are if the information is subject to solicitor-client privilege, or if the information contains confidential commercial information, or if disclosure of the information could harm an individual’s life or security. If we will not disclose information to you we will give you our reasons for not doing so.
Inanna Publications and Education Inc.
210 Founders, York University
4700 Keele Street